Monday, October 24, 2016

The Shining


Continuing on with the Halloween theme I decided to pick Stephen King's "The Shining". The movie itself might not be very scary; but it is very disturbing to watch. I had watched the film during the summer, me being curious as to what it was about. I would advise not to watch it at night, and to give yourself at least a two hour break to have time to watch it. I had made the mistake of watching it late at night and I was scarred a bit; but since the film is two hours long I watched the rest in the morning. If you have seen the meme of "Here's Johnny" or the two twins in the hallway going around this is the source of it. My opinion on the film was I liked it, I did not like how disturbing it was; but I guess that was King's intention when he wrote the story. The movie takes place in Colorado, where Jack Torrance (Jack Nicholson) has to stay at the empty Overlook Hotel, hoping to cure his writer's block. He goes with his wife Wendy (Shelley Duvall) and his son Danny (Danny Lloyd), and he has psychic premonitions while he is there. Jack was trying to write; but it was not going so good, his visions begin to become disturbing. He then finds out about the dark secrets of the hotel and starts to turn into a homicidal maniac hell-bent on terrorizing his family. Since in the film Jack has visions, some of them are truly unpleasant to watch. Even the sons visions are creepy to watch. When I watched the film I did not really understand why and how Jack became a maniac; so it might be confusing at first to watching it, but I think you will understand the story at the end. Throughout the film I felt that certain aspects left me speechless, like what is going on? I think that if you have wanted to watch the film or are into weird films like this one, I recommend you to watch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment